Saturday, April 19, 2014

First Tour of Ottawa

As many of you may know, I recently moved to Ottawa, the capital city of Canada. I haven't been here over 2 weeks and yet I feel like I've experienced so much. I thought I would share with you guys what it's been like to move from the U.S. to Canada.

Canada has turned out to be more different than I first thought! Here are some of the differences I've come to notice:

1. It's not just a joke. Canadians really do say "eh" and they say it often.
2. All the stores and brands are different! So I really have no clue what to buy anymore haha!
3. Everything seems to be maple syrup flavored or scented. If you smell something sweet here and you don't know what it is, you can probably just assume it's maple syrup.
4. Canadians pronounce more things different than I thought. It's been entertaining just to listen to them speak.
5. Everything here is in both English and French. In school you don't take Spanish, you typically take French.
6. Like everyone recycles here. Also, containers in stores are often made with less materials/plastic. I found this out the hard way when I grabbed a yogurt cup and completely crushed it like Superman.
7. No one here discusses their favorite football team, they discuss their favorite hockey team.
8. In Chicago you can find a Starbucks on almost every street but in Ottawa you can find a Tim Horton's on every street.
9. Canadians are obsessed with two foods I had never heard of before: Beavertails and Poutine. Beavertails aren't actually beaver tails! They are just like Elephant Ears. Poutine is pretty much loaded fries covered in gravy.
10. Speed limit signs go by kilometers, not miles. They also go by celsius rather than fahrenheit. I asked a friend what the temp. was the other day and she told me it was 8 degrees outside. I freaked out for a second until I remembered I was in Canada!

Here are some pictures from my first tour of the city.
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.